Friday, February 5, 2010

Grantwell - Looking into the Future of Philanthropy!


Hello my dears from the Romney Institute of Public Mangagement!
This year I am working in a student-run organization called Grantwell, and I want to tell you aaaall about it. Grantwell is a faculty-mentored organization for public management students to manage and work on practical projects in a "simulated foundation." In other words, we take the criteria of actual foundations and use it to analyze and select the best nonprofits for receiving grants. WE don't touch the grant money, but we act as consultants to assist foundations to donate money effectively. Hmm, this ties nicely into my last blog post, no? Grantwell is VERY cool because it is, as far as our research shows, the first organization of its kind. I work on the development team, and lately I've worked specifically on internal development, hoping to get funding for our operations and scholarships for future program directors. I'm learning so much about how foundations work. For example, before I came to the MPA program and Grantwell, I didn't even know the difference between foundations,trusts, non-profits. Embarrassing. Now I not only know the difference but I know more of the legalities, politics, and best practices surrounding their operations.

Non-profit organization: a legally constituted organization whose objective is to support or engage in activities of public/private interest without any commercial or monetary profit. Difference from a FOR-profit corporation that supports public/private interests? No SHAREHOLDERS.

Foundation: an institution supported by an endowment, often one that provides funds for charities, research, etc. They will have certain criteria for what their money will be donated towards. Hence, in applying for a grant from one of these foundations, you must make it clear why your organization (or individual pursuit) is in line with their mission and vision.

Trust: Similar to foundations in that they allocate money to beneficiaries, but a trust has a settlor that has trustees selecting what beneficiaries to give to. Foundations are run with a board of directors. Charitable trusts must give to a general beneficiary class (e.g., handicapped UVU students)that doesn't specify the individuals (e.g., descendants of the Styler family).

If you didn't already know all of that, now you do! You can check out Grantwell's website here, and kudos to you if you can find me in a picture (hint: I'm veerrrry tiny).

PS- I'm going to Ghana with a few other MPA students in the end of April to do some program evaluations and meet with various international development administrators there. It'll be a short trip, but then I still have to figure out where I'll be going thereafter- possibly back to Jordan. Of course- I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you do it all. You are so busy. You are fantastic--

    ReplyDelete