Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BYU Forum Address by Catholic Francis Cardinal George (and my mega ramblings)

Last week's forum here at BYU was noteworthy. I wrote about it, intending to post it on the good ol' blog, but never did. So, here she be:

It was exciting to see Francis Cardinal George speak today in the Marriott Center. Two of the 12 apostles were in attendance. The Cardinal seemed wise, respectable, and willing to address all topics surrounding his main message, which was that of Catholics and Mormons standing side-by-side in fighting for religious freedom.


I wrote some things down from his speech as follows:

Religious freedom cannot be limited to freedom of worship. There are mounting threats to religious freedom (I hadn't reeeaally taken this seriously before for our generation). Mormons and Catholics can stand together for religious freedom. He talked about how all people have equal protection under the law here in the U.S. Separation of church and state works, even though the Catholic church did not always appreciate the separation, or partnership with democracy. It came to terms with defending democracy and human freedoms in this sense in the late 19th century. (I felt that he approached this topic well.)

Societies are based not on individuals, but on families. Relationships are prior to individualism. The question of freedom lies within us (who we are), but it also lies at the heart of a good society. When considering relationships vs. individualism, look at the relationships, not the individuals, when considering same-sex marriage.
(I have my own ideas about this topic, but it was interesting to hear his approach.)

Objective truth vs. personal beliefs? - not good. These two things should be melded together.
Freedom of conscience is threatened by legalizing actions, like abortion, that are seen as morally heinous.

If we stay together, religions united in common causes, and continue to talk together, this will in the end, bear much fruit. It could be a shared calling. We live in a pluralistic country; Religious minorities can come together to foster a nation's civic life.

A final note-
Mother Theresa of Calcutta, when once bringing supplies into Gaza, was asked by an Israeli solder if she had any weapons. She replied, "yes, my prayer books."

A good final note, don't you think? My own thoughts....

That is how we should fight for religious freedom- with prayer and teachings of truth. Nothing of force, violence, or blind obedience, but rather, willingness to seek, learn, and share truth. I believe that any person who is actively seeking to know the purpose of life, or the meaning/origination/end of all things.... will find what they're looking for if they don't give up the search. That can even mean allowing yourself to ask hard questions about what you've been taught all your life, as long as you're looking for answers and accept some spiritual guidance coupled with objective findings (like the Cardinal said). I'm talking about everyone here in terms of broad philosophy, not just Mormons or non-Mormons(FYI- a variety of different kinds of people read this blog, even if the total number of readers is low :)).
I think that allowing doubts to turn you away from long-lived beliefs is not usually noble OR evil, it's mostly lazy. I recognize that laziness can be a sin of omission, which can be considered evil, but I'm just saying one doesn't usually let their doubts turn them away from beliefs out of their own malicious intent. SO, it isn't noble either, unless you turn away to look for real answers and are either directed back to what you saw before, or find something new and more beautifully enlightening. Being completely open to all possibilities, like in scientific research and forming theories, will allow you to be unbiased and honest with yourself in choosing a route. You cannot overlook divine spiritual guidance that usually comes through "feelings" from a divine creator(s), the source of all truth. If we're seeking truth, then we better be willing to listen to the main source.
If you question whether there is a God or not, you have to be open to the fact that there could be one, and be willing to listen- or you won't get any promptings. Asking for miracles as proof = stupid. That'd be like getting zipped up to the summit of Everest in a helicopter, denying you the immense satisfaction and glory of the climb. What would be the point, except a quick glimpse of a beautiful view that won't change your character or heart in the same magnitude as the climb would?

Maybe knowing the answer to "why choose a route?" is the first thing you have to answer. Being willing to think hard - that's important. Man...I Struggle with that sometimes. Anyway, next, a person must be willing, once they have found what they're looking for, to change their entire lifestyle to live as a truth-seeker. It's called something different for different people: becoming a disciple, being fully converted, seeking Nirvana, shaking off shackles of sin or addiction, or more formally- accepting the Torah, or pronouncing the Shahadah.

What I guess I'm saying is, theoretically, what is the use of just going half-way? I suppose it depends on one's priorities. Do I think life after death is important? Does it really matter if I do or don't live completely righteously according to whatever principles I've learned? I won't really suffer from minding my business...... will I?

Some may not consider themselves religious, but if you seek truth and change your ways according to what you find, I think that's religion. Some choose not to look for truth at all, because in turn, it requires effort, it requires change, it requires some pain. The best path is almost never the easy way, unless you're considering your ease of conscience, which in my opinion, if unsettled, is the worst torment of all. Shall I reference, for example, the invitation given to share the yoke with Christ to make our burdens lighter? It is easier for your soul, if not for your temporary comforts of lifestyle. It's nice to know that it's never too late to get off your butt and find a way to make the most of your life. Even if the religion you base your life on turns out to be flawed in the end, if you did everything you could to live in a way that brings happiness and love to you and those around you- don't you think there will be justice if/when we are judged for our earthly works? I could say a lot more about judging between the flaws of men in religion vs. the flaws of the religion itself...
Anyway, even if fully converting oneself to some way of life means, for example, staying in your same home caring for the same people you always have, the journey your heart and mind take will make your every-day life an entirely different experience.

I admire my Muslim friends in the Middle East that continually try to live worthily in the eyes of God, in a religion that is seemingly part of every hour of life, whether you care for it or not. It doesn't matter whether you're surrounded by the "religion" or not, it matters what you do. Being a Mormon in Utah can be similar (almost); it can be easy to be spiritually complacent. Once in Sunday School in Puebla, Mexico when I was interning there in '06, the Sunday school teacher asked me and my friend Laura if we prayed more often and fervently while in Mexico because of our unfamiliar surroundings, language, and new kinds of trials. It was true, we did pray more, and we put more effort into believing and serving. So how about when our surroundings are familiar and easy?

Anyway,
That my friends, is the end of this midnight soap-box that I never intended to stand on, with piles of school junk weighing on my brain. These things are often on my mind though, I just decided to throw some if out there tonight....for some reason. Share your thoughts if you like. :)

I'll leave you with one of my favorite pictures. I don't know what the artist's intent was, but I have my own interpretation (I get daily pieces of art on my igoogle homepage, this one was unique). night!

(waiting to post this until I read this tomorrow and decide if it's really appropriate or not)

No comments:

Post a Comment