Friday, March 5, 2010

ASL Poetry and the Missing Piece

Last Thursday night some of my MPA girlfriends, and Matt :), came over for our weekly show & tell movie night. This time it was specially designated as a POETRY show & tell. It was perfect and I yearned for moremoremore after sharing all of our poems, from Emily Dickinson and Robert Service to well-performed Slam poetry and Sign Language. I was so overcome by the fact that I had never considered ASL poetry before. Marissa, a very sweet and impressive person, read what she'd interpreted from an ASL poem she found, then showed us the video. From what little I can remember and understand myself, he spells out his name, tells you his sign name, the title of the poem "beautiful night," and proceeds to describe things like the following:
I see the moon in the sky, its moonbeams shine down and bounce around on the surface of the lake. I cannot hear anything, all is silence.


I know there's more to it, but I can't remember it all. A totally different way to describe one's surroundings and feelings poetically, don't you think? Spoken words are only half of our communication, and the other half(The side of Linguistics I wish I got to study more!)is so interesting to explore, especially with ASL!

Today, Karleen sent me a video of Shell Silverstein's "The Missing Piece Meets the Big O" which is also very profound and quite in line with our style of... inspirational/humorous media. Karleen and Jaclyn, two of the movie-night founders, are my fellow "fridgettes", whom I adore and admire to the max. Fridgette= females of the Refrigerator team. Holler.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Holler-- fridgettes forever. Love our movie nights and our show & tell--

    ReplyDelete