Monday, October 19, 2009

A Week in Washington DC

A couple weeks ago I went with a small group of MPA students to Washington DC. We stormed through agencies in DC and it was enlightening and essential to my quest for finding my future.

See there, i'm studying the past just like the inscription says- "study the past." This is in front of the National Archives. Pretty sure. Been a couple weeks.



The National Portrait Gallery was pretty stellar. Here are a couple of high-profile portraits in the portrait gallery of US presidents. I thought it was interesting that Bush was the only one to be painted so casually: no tie, in a home setting, on a couch with legs spread. They got his side-smile just right.



Saw some pretty dang important historical documents, people. Recognize this one? It's a tad awe-inspiring.

The bulk of our time was spent in running from agency to agency.
Here are places we visited(ones in bold are the ones I'm most interested in):

FEMA (Fed. Emergency Management Agency)
NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission)
Mercy Corps (nonprofit for Int'l Dev)
FBI
DOL (agency Ariel and Andrea went to)
CBO (Congressional Budget Office)
GAO (Gov't Accountability Office)
OPM
Partnership for Public Service
OCC (Office of Currency Control)
OMB (Office of Management & Budget)
DOI University (Dep of Interior)
USAID
Millennium Challenge Corporation

DOE (Dep of Education)
Red Cross
Booz Allen Hamilton

Class about to start. Next time I will try not to say "pretty" a hundred times.
Bye!

2 comments:

  1. Nikki. I didn't even notice you said "pretty" that many times. So I had to investigate. It was only three times in the entire post. That is not overused. But I did love the post! So fun to see some pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what things you mentioned - I wouldn't have even thought of mentioning the organizations in that much detail. You're so thorough. This trip was so much fun--

    ReplyDelete