Thursday, November 12, 2009

Trip to MT and whatever else I feel like writing down

I'm taking a moment to procrastinate my homework and lay down a few lines of nonsensical writing. i love you blog.
I'll start with what could be said to be the purpose of this post, a recent family trip to montana. After all, this is a blog about travel (and adventure, mind you).

A few weeks ago I went with the padres and Chad to visit grandma Rose in Montana. I sure felt for her, not being able to move her left arm or leg, and not being able to communicate what she wanted to say. Cancerous brain tumors... I would NEVER wish that on anyone. I actually got a tiny bit of insight into it last year when I read "Death be not Proud." I've never had serious health problems, and reading the book (and seeing grandma Rose) were helpful in bringing it home. The last thing I'd want taken from me, or malfunctioning, are functions of my brain. It changes who you are inside, not just physically. Luckily, Rose hears and understands those around her, but just can't speak more than a couple words every now and then. We just hope she is able to find moderate comfort sometimes, and that she's well cared for where she's staying. It was good to see her, and we hope to visit with her (and that great smile she still owns 100%) for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend. Here are a couple pictures of our late night burning brush piles on the cabin property while we were out there:
That's chad, the brush buncher in the night

I just thought my camera did a good job with this one:


Something I wrote down from a spiritual thought given in class a couple weeks ago:
If you do any comparing, don’t do it between your talents and the talents of others, but be sure that you are superior to your previous self.
If I were comparing myself to students in my program, I'd get considerably depressed. So.....I don't. :)Let's lean away from sad or depressing thoughts and enjoy a little SNL shall we? Here are too clips that have my DC girlfriends and I laughing and quoting from them all the time:



I'm pretty sure these are the only funny Gilly skits, don't go looking for other ones. If you're on a role though, watch something else funny:
the two SNL "Lawrence Welk Show"s
Show 1
Show 2

1 comment:

  1. I hope your Grandma Rose is doing okay in her final days. I love the Gilly clips... and Nicole--while comparing isn't wise, know that you do compare to others. You're fantastic. I love that we get together. ps. Saw a grown man that looked like Liam yesterday. Laughed out loud. Oops.

    ReplyDelete