Saturday, March 12, 2011

Grateful

Deviating from the normal blog post. I fell asleep writing this last night, didn't set an alarm, and I'm now late for a conference this morning ha. Kind of ironic -you'll see what I mean:

It's 12:33 AM, I'm tired, I am behind in seemingly everything, and yet there's never a better time to finally sit and write out what I'm feeling. I just got an email from a colleague reassuring me that it was ok that I missed our morning swim. I was feeling really stupid about missing it, and missing a few other things I swore I wouldn't miss this week. I guess trying to live off of 5 hrs/night kinda gets to you eventually, so among other things, I'm kicked back to the reality of making sleep a priority. Meanwhile, I am grateful for all the people in my life who support me, love me, and forgive me while I'm not so awesome. Life is great, I just wanted to express some appreciation...

-I'm thankful for that colleague's email. .
-I'm thankful for the Grantwell leaders who have watched me struggle and learn.
-I'm thankful for all the MPA students in my program that I've learned from these 2 years.
-I'm thankful for my roommates who support me every day and are thoughtful all the time (morning scripture study, shrimp crackers in my grad mailbox, scraping my windshield, etc).
-I'm thankful for my parents and their periodic emails or calls to let me know they're thinking of me.
-I'm thankful for my older brothers who let me stay with them and who offer encouragement.
-I'm thankful for my little brother who I can talk to and laugh with.
-I'm thankful for my professors who genuinely care and want to help me in my path.
-I'm thankful for my boss who also cares and is forgiving with my mistakes.
-I'm thankful for the friend who held me when I cried...a lot.
-I'm thankful for my 2 mentors who enable me to see forward more clearly.
-I'm thankful for the donuts on my doorstep.
-I'm thankful for all the people I talked to in SF who offer insight, advice, and networking opportunities for careers.
-I'm thankful for all those at the ESR Conference who openly offer me advice & insights for furthering Southern Sudan Humanitarian.
-I'm thankful for visiting teachers and the girls I visit teach..
Mostly, I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father who blessed me with having all of you in my life.

Thank you thank you thank you. Very full of gratitude for you all, and I hope you know I love you!

Picture to liven up this post: We found a tree in the middle of a street while driving around in the bay area (recent CA career trip).

4 comments:

  1. Love this post and love that tree. Definitely grateful to have met you on day one of the program. Ps. I am a huge advocate for getting some sleep. Say no to someone and take a break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Nikki. Thanks for the reminder of all the joy that comes from the wonderful people around us. You make my life better. So many of us are grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post to remind us about being thankful for the people in our lives...and for donuts. Yum. We are grateful for you! You are a great person Nikki; you always reach for the stars and go for your dreams. I love that about you. I agree with Jaclyn--say 'no' to someone and take some time for yourself. (Learning to say 'no' and be guilt-free about it was a great thing for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I love all of you and your kind posts! This is just perpetuating my gratitude for you :) :)

    Just so you know, I said no to the conference and never went on that Saturday. So your advice sits well with me ha. Thanks!

    Much love,
    nic

    ReplyDelete