In the very end of May, our Utah Styler unit met up with Justin's gang in Tahoe on the Nevada side of the lake. On the drive down from Utah, we passed the usual place where you see stretches of salt flats. I'd driven through them many times but never really realized it's salt! So mom pulled over and I took a picture:

We stayed in the lovely Hyatt a walk's distance from the shore. It was an amazing time. We had a lovely hike with a great view of the lake, then dad and I biked back to the hotel from there.

One afternoon we enjoyed the lakeside despite the wind. Little Olivia seemed impervious to cold, it was amazing.

On the morning we should've been driving back already, mom&pops and I went kayaking for a little while in Crystal Bay. That's what it's called, right?




Poor Chad still had a cast on his foot this whole time so he couldn't do so much hike/bike/boating but we still had a good time at the hyatt too, especially with some thrilling nightly rounds of boggle. Yes, boggle...I'm a little obsessed ever since I played on a friend's itouch in Ghana. Anyway, Justin is seemingly unbeatable. I'll still hold my grounds in scrabble though, so.... bring it! Smores and making beaded lizards and jewelry were all part of the trip too.

Good times! Wish Bryan's gang could've made it too. Luckily, since I'm in DC now (I flew out to DC the morning after we got back from Tahoe- pulled an all-nighter pretty much for the sake of kayaking)I got to visit Bryan's family one more time this 4th of July weekend before they leave for Georgia. I had a great time with them. Speaking of which, I packed 4 cupcakes from Melissa into a plastic baggie in my carry-on this morning when I flew back to DC. I think I'll give an update on how that went. During the trip back, I never found a moment in which I was comfortable pulling mushy chocolate-covered blobs out and eating them, so when I finally got home I took them out and went to work scraping frosting from inside the baggie that held them and started re-frosting my blobs. My roommate came in and asked, "what are you doing?" -Refrosting my cupcakes. "they look beautiful(dripping with sarcasm).... you're really going to eat them like that?" Yep.
A minute later she saw my jar of peanut butter, "Are you going to put peanut butter on those too??" -Well I was thinking about it, yeah. I was going to mush it all up with ice cream.
It was delish, much to the horror of my dear roommate, who actually lent the ice cream to my creation. Thanks for the cupcakes Melissa!
Anyway, I love my family!
We love you, too! It was great seeing you at Tahoe!
ReplyDeleteReally awesome macro picture of the Salt Flats. Great framing; I love how you have just the bottom of a sunburst in there. I have driven across the flats a billion times and have never once stopped to take a picture (though I did know it was salt. ha). Way to take initiative.
PS//Loved the cupcake story.
I don't think I knew that you went to Tahoe - only one of my very favorite places in the world. Kar and I are definitely planning a trip (you're naturally on the travel list too) to go next semester.
ReplyDelete