hi hi hi. i'm in a cafe with my roommate madalina and I don't feel like writing much. Let's see, pictures are in order.
huh, nevermind, i've tried for an hour. the internet connection won't work for long.
May 19
Its too bad i usually write posts when i'm extremely ticked about the internet not working. Ruins my 'tude. At least i have my own laptop for the summer so i don't have to use old computers in internet cafes that are encrusted with chewed-off nails, cigarette ashes, and a coating of finger grease.
right now i'm outside in the heat after trying about 4 different spots inside and outside of the sports club cafe. looks like another summer of skimpy communication on my part. i lose the desire pretty fast when it becomes difficult. today is my first day teaching at the newly filled pool here in Maadi. I've spent every other day at the other club so far, about 30 min drive from here. I've been getting to know the other swim coaches there, but today i assume i'll meet the coaches that work here and that I'll presumably be working with the whole summer.
I have to get going soon but here are some updates:
1. yes, i did get my suitcase. The driver who brought it to the club demanded payment,ha. he didnt get it.
2. my stomach has been rolling the last couple of days so i've been popping chewable pepto and avoiding the brocolli and tomatos that i ate the night before getting sick. i bought them at carrefour wrapped, and i washed them with filtered water but eh, whatever...it must be the veggies.
3. i went on a boat ride on the Nile last night a little bit after midnight. madalina, her friend who arranged it, and i had the boat to ourselves. it was fun. i almost got thrown in and was thinking, this isn't how i wanted it to happen!! i prefer daylight if i must go into the nile. besides, my imagination conjures up all sorts of nessie-creatures that roam in the dark waters. the nessie of the nile would be named something more appropriate though, like "abdullah."
4. Last night i saw "star trek" at the Nile mall. it was awesome. I want to tell everyone to "live long and prosper" with the appropriate hand sign. the thing is, it's not really understood or appreciated here. There was a smoking break in the middle of the movie, by the way. awesome. after every reel of commercial or the actual movie, the end slide just stood there on the screen until the next one came on. The end slides were like pieces of paper with the commercial or movie hand-written on it. Oh, and the russian character of the movie made half our audience laugh more than any other charactor or event in the movie. madalina was dying (because she has a pretty strong romanian accent but HE sounded ridiculous to her) and there was a row of germans up in front of us who thought it was hilarious too. did the audience have the same reaction in the US?
5. I have to figure out everything about my new job by asking millions of questions and taking my own initiative. that's how its done. we'll see how well i figure out teaching in the pool today because when i've recently filled in for other coaches it seemed like knowing arabic was a HUGE deal and that wasn't even a requirement for my job position. the kids didnt understand ANY english. apparently at this pool its different (as opposed to the other club pool i've been at) but we'll see. in a way its a good thing so that I can improve. it won't be too bad, but it'll take me a few days at least. I've already written down the local terms for things like, "bravo!" and "float on your back" and "kick" and "look!"
I couldn't believe i was supposed to be saying "look" differently than how i'd learned. dang Egyptians. :)
lets see if i can get a pic on here
oh good! this is the pool at the other club. the nakheel club
5. there's a bit of a competition going on between Will, SwimAmerica program director, and the coaches at the nakheel club. they're tracking the distance they swim every day on a poster to see who swims the most to get a prize leatherman. I added my name to the poster and was surprised at how easy it was to surpass almost half of them (dont tell, but i gotta toot my own horn a little). I think that's why i like swimming, because outside of the professional levels, a girl can hold her own amongst the guys. i don't want the leatherman though, i can't catch up that fast to those who have swam a LOT already, and Will brought it from the states anyway so I won't ruin their fun. I may also have the advantage of being a non-smoker. Possibly the only one besides Will.
6. Here's a picture of the apartment that Will claimed to be mine to try and freak me out. It's actually just across the hall from mine. mine is in MUCH better condition. seriously mom and dad, don't freak out.
k bye!
Yay for updating your blog! This blog has amazing stories. Your future kids will read it and be so impressed by their globe-trotting mother!
ReplyDelete