Thursday, September 23, 2010

Looking back....Summer in DC

I never posted much about my summer, but it was a lovely time of interning at MCC, exploring DC, and weekend trips with friends. Here is a line of photografias for your pleasure. :)

This was the metro stop I'd leave from and return home to every day. Had to document it. Pentagon City- great location.


Next one is a horrible picture, I know. But it's proof that I went to Gravelly Point where people picnic and watch planes come in and fly practically right over you as they come in and out of the Reagan National Airport (very close to my house. Seriously...I lived in a great location).


Of the many fun food places I experienced, this one seemed to be the most famous: Georgetown Cupcakes. The cupcakes were good, but too small so I got two. I'm pretty sure they did that to me on purpose.


I joined my friend Karleen and the Red Cross employees she was interning with at ....my first Nationals game! The presidents come out and run around in the 7th inning. I felt officially inducted into DC life at this point.


These were my awesome roommates for the summer. House in Arlington = the bomb.


I went to an Angels game (vs. Orioles) with my friend P-money. He has and continues to try instilling in me a love for the Angels. I think it's working? Ball games are great for chatting with your friends/date- that was the biggest thing I've learned at my ball games this summer haha.


One of my besties, Eileen, was interning in DC before me. Our summer schedules gave us a few overlap days together in DC and during that time we visited the National Cathedral. Excuse the sideways-ness of this picture... I kinda don't want to fix it. Anyway, I got yet another chance to describe "flying buttresses" - something I love about gothic architecture (not to mention the fact that everyone notices you're saying butt...and that it's flying.)


At the end of my time in DC, mumsee came to visit! We took a weekend to go to Annapolis. It was beautiful and just what we needed. We went on a sailing tour in the Chesapeake bay and saw the Navel Academy and such. The Academy was cool. We also went on a historical guided kayaking tour, which turned out to be really fun. Well, not like I wasn't expecting it to be... but I wanted to kayak withOUT the "tour." Turned out that our guide made everything fun and interesting, he knew his stuff. It's times like those when I think I've chosen the wrong profession, or that I'll be retiring to do kayak tours some day in the future. :) "Another day in the office" is what they always say- then jealousy inevitably ensues in this little heart of mine.


There were 2 schooners, so this picture is of our twin boat, taken from the deck of ours. That's the Academy behind it.


Mom and I even got to go to the Kennedy Center to see Marry Poppins, it was everything I love in a musical. Great voices, songs, acting, humor.


Mommy & daughter picture after the show:


The DC temple is beautiful. So is mom :)


The National Geographic Museum had a cool exhibit that showcases tools, shelters, filters that improve life for those who don't have the means/methods to improve it themselves:


I went the national harbor and picnicked next to "The Awakening." Climbed on it too, of course.


Must show pics of the monuments of course. This is mom and I at the base of the Washington Monument. I'm hoping you can tell what we were trying to do.


WWII Memorial


Lincoln Memorial


My new penguin friend enjoyed the Washington monument too.


Mom and I hiked up some stairs in one of the art museums and found this studio tucked away where they refurbish and fix old paintings. It was such a special moment for us while we looked around. No one else was there.


Well, there's a taste of some of the summer fun I had. I love DC!

3 comments:

  1. These are awesome! Let's go somewhere together again. Or let's just live in DC together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. deal. i expect this to happen now phu. better make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether jealousy or....jealousy you always inspire me to travel more

    ReplyDelete