Tuesday, August 18, 2009

El Bahr! (The Sea!)

Ya salaam, time flies, begad.
I only have 3 days left here in Cairo, so here is one more blog post for ya's. I'm dedicating this post to my 4 trips to the sea. I went swimming in the sea in 3 different locations: Ain Sokhna, Dahab, and Alexandria.

AIN SOKHNA

I went to sokhna twice, and the second time we swam in clouds of jellyfish. its a nasty but thrilling feeling to slide through living pulsating gooey blobs. We of course had jelly-throwing wars too, which honestly took me a bit of time to feel comfortable with, but at least the jellies were sting-free.

DAHAB

look closely
This bit of sea took about 9 hours on the bus to get to, but it was so worth it. I originally dragged my american friend micah with me to climb mt. sinai, but the plan fell through because i kinda fell ill upon arriving in dahab (and because our tour fell through, after that it costs more to hire your own car, etc). so we just chilled in Dahab for the night and went snorkeling in the morning when i felt better. Dahab is a tiny touristy seaside town reminiscent of the hippie paradise i visited in ecuador: montanita. that was where i almost broke my arm surfing. there's only windsurfing in dahab though, which reminded me of gram and gramps meyer:)

ALEXANDRIA


The city of Alex was extremely crowded and the water was nasty green, like ninja-turtle nuclear-pollution green. No matter, says nikki, on we go to find a beach that isn't crammed shoulder to shoulder with locals! Indeed my friend fekri and i found such a beach for a pretty price at the Helnan Palestine Hotel. We paid for day use of their sea-side facilities and it was wonderful even though i'm probably going to mutate after swimming in that water.

alrightee must go. be home soon. love you all. love egypt. love love love.


love.

2 comments:

  1. That water is scary! You actually went in there? Brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki!! We are going back to Utah soon too! We will be back the end of the month! I cant wait to see you! I am pretty jealous of you girls and your new place and chance to live together again! What a dream! I can't wait to visit!! I love you and am so glad you loved Egypt!!!

    ReplyDelete