Friday, June 5, 2009

June has started, here's a list

List time. Things that have been going on:

1. Obama spoke yesterday! It was a big event here, and the city made a lot of preparations for Obama's arrival and safety. Here's a video that shows one portion of the speech. Although I love certain things that he said, I also acknowledge the fact that the speech is possibly full of empty promises:

2. My boss, Will, has a cousin who arrived to work as his personal slave for 2 months, just to have the experience of being in Cairo and working on his Arabic. His name is Micah, 24 yrs old, and I'm happy to have him around in case I need a down-to-earth American to talk to.

3. Gretchan Belnap, a girl I went to Jordan with last summer, just arrived in Cairo a couple days ago for a 2 month study program. She's stayed with me for a couple days and we'll get to keep hanging out (when i have free time at least) until she finds a place to live. It's a small world dude, I love making connections.

4. My june work schedule is set. I work 10-1 morning swim classes every day, and 4-9pm swim classes rotating back and forth between the two wadi degla sports clubs. i got very sunburned the last couple days, even though I haven't done anything differently (except heap on MORE sunscreen). weird. the sun in magically sinister here and i have to be careful.

5. I was informed yesterday that Madalina and I will be moving into a new apartment tomorrow. I dont know why, but at least the new place will be bigger with AC in my bedroom - YES! It's still close to work too, so "bravoo."

6. Hani and i aren't on speaking terms anymore. It's not a long story at all. i just told him to stop joking around and smacking my face, and he hasn't called me since. Of course he did it gently in jest, but is that EVER ok? don't think so honey. Needless to say, our plans to party were scrapped. Too bad, i was hoping to get a jersey from the Egyptian national soccer team (you know, the one he plays for?).

7. I have Fridays off now so today was my first day to go to both church meetings, not just the beginning of sacrament like I was doing before.

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen's out there? Tell her I said hi!

    Good to know you're not letting the Arab guys in muscle shirts smack you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hani sounds like a real peach. I did a little research...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hani_Said

    And an especially choice photo of "slappy" taken June 15th...
    http://tinyurl.com/lglk7l

    ReplyDelete